Saturday, March 12, 2016

Bienvenido a México!

So much to share from my first week of pre-service training!  First, I have to say that the other 21 people I’m serving with are AMAZING! It’s like a call went out for the best group of people with good hearts, positive energy and hilarious personalities, and they all arrived here with me in Mexico.

 My roommates! Megan (while in DC) and Jess (while in Mexico)

Our full group in DC. 

Also arriving with me in Mexico, freezing cold weather.  Like literally freezing with snow in the mountains, school classes cancelled in Querétaro, and a wind that sounded like a freight train.  Since that type of weather is highly unusual around here, there are zero heaters in buildings, including our hotel so at the first break on day one, we all ran back to our rooms to put on all available clothing.  For me that included 2 shirts, 2 cardigans and my rain jacket, and a constant cup of hot water to keep my hands warm (most of our luggage was at a different location).  Thankfully it warmed up a bit for the remainder of our visit and was sunny the whole time, so I got to see lots of sun and blue skies.





Views from the first 4 days in Mexico. 

Now let’s get to the important part: the food – OMG the food!  It is delicioso! No, es muy delicioso!  To ease us into the new schedule for eating (a light breakfast, a mid-morning meal, a big mid-afternoon meal, and a light late evening meal), we had breakfast at 9 everyday (delicious!), a big meal in mid-afternoon (delicious!), and an early evening dinner (also delicious!).  On night 3 in Mexico, we were served guacamole for the first time, and you should have heard the screams of delight as we all ran towards the giant container of avocados and demolished it.  That guacamole…..it was served with tamales, sopes, a full salad bar, and an astonishing array of desserts. I feel certain there are more blog posts to come that highlight the incredible comida!  

Salad bar on the last day of pre-moving in with host families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...