Friday, October 14, 2016

The End of Autumn-E?

It finally arrived: the time to start doing “real” work in my office.  That’s not to say that I didn’t do any work my first four months here, but I was still struggling to understand Spanish and trying to get my bearings and figure out just what my office's project was all about.  I spent most of my time attending workshops and meetings, visiting different communities, reading documents, getting to know people, and trying to learn everything I could through osmosis. 


Chilling by el rio with some of my coworkers while getting to know my new community. 
Typical view out exploring el campo.

I knew the town I was moving to before I left the US but I only learned about my work assignment once I arrived in Mexico.  I remember getting that 2-page document with my job description in Spanish and racing back to my hotel room to translate each word.  WTH was “fortalecimiento”? Or “cultivos agrícolas emblemáticos”? Or “así”? Seriously, I have learned so much Spanish this year.

I’m still working on integration, Spanish and understanding relationships and opportunities at work, but I’m also starting to meet with people outside of my office and talk about more concrete projects.  Here’s what I’ve discovered: I like efficiency, getting accolades, measuring results, and feeling like I’m in charge of things, with a certain amount of power and respect.  Apparently you become accustomed to those things after 15 plus years working in the US.

I’m not going to lie to you, it’s been a little bit of a struggle trying to find myself work-wise here.  My nickname is Autumn-E because I am efficient and good at getting stuff done!  I set and meet deadlines.  I create strategic plans and build relationships.  I start and end meetings on time.  I try to infuse an element of fun into my work and I’m good at starting new projects.  The only resemblance my current work life has to that legacy is that I can still make people laugh (although not always on purpose) and one time I finished a meeting on time.  This presents some challenges for Type-A Autumn-E (who is working on being mellow and going with the flow).  

  Cows in the morning
Early morning light.

I work in a really great, laid-back office with a boss who is supportive of pretty much any idea you have.  Just pitch it and then go do it.  At times that’s easier said than done as I don’t fully speak or understand the language, I don't know exactly who to work with to move things forward, and I want to be strategic about what I'm proposing and how it fits with existing efforts.  I'm also working on a project that's being tried for the first time here in Mexico and there's no legacy of volunteers whose shoes I'm filling, so everyone in my office is figuring things out for the first time.  Things are starting to have more clarity, but I’ve needed all this time just to start to get a handle on all the intricacies of a different work culture (i.e. that pesky patience thing again). 

My coworkers (and 3 Peace Corps staff members in the middle)
Students from our weekly English class

I have been able to accomplish some things since I arrived in June, presented here for your reading pleasure (see, I really do need to measure things and get pats on the back):
  • Created a print series of 8 handouts for use in community workshops on organic farming practices.
  • Drafted and coordinated the review and development of (a little bit of) content for the new project website.
  • Developed posts for the project Facebook page.
  • Organized the office electronic file structure for storing and sorting photos (I know, how did I not lead with this gem?!).
  • Created informational labels for and assisted with the installation of multiple public photo exhibits at local municipal buildings.
  • Assisted with annual project reporting (a teeny-tiny bit).
  • Developed three proposals for public events.
  • Taught numerous English classes with Cindy, participated in an English-only What’s App group with students working in tourism, and developed a Duolingo classroom.
  • Roughly drafted an activity book about local forest resources and species.
  • Met with local officials to discuss opportunities to partner on some environmental education initiatives.
  • Had a lot of fun. 

I have to create lists like this for reporting to Peace Corps every 6 months but I also need to create these lists to clarify what it is that I’m doing (and reassure myself that I am moving forward with developing work).  It is surprising how much time it’s taken for me to get to a point where I’m starting to have an understanding of the local actors and issues and to really see what projects I might be able to develop or help with.  Apparently learning to speak a new language and operate in a new culture actually does take time, and it changes how you are able to approach your work.  


At el centro magnético asking for help and giving thanks.    

I have full faith that I will have many great accomplishments here as my service grows -- or at least one "ok" accomplishment that I can brag to my grandma about in 2 years.  She's good at spinning a yarn; like the time I told her I had a table on residential energy efficiency programs at a local naval base's employee fair and she told everyone I was consulting with the navy on their energy program.  Not exactly......  In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away, trying to be of value wherever I can and continuing to learn from everyone I meet.  Or I'll just keep listening to this song over and over again, which is only loosely connected to "work" but is totes my favorite song right now (and I hear it everywhere I go in Mexico so I think that's some kind of sign :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...