Friday, December 2, 2016

The Laundromat

Once a week I make the 6-block trek to my local laundromat carrying my dirty clothes in a clear plastic bag.  I’ve got a system for how I put my dirty clothes in there to keep my undergarments discreetly tucked away, as I’ve run into people I know on that walk more than once.  I also don’t want to be that weird lady from the US who walks around town with her underwear on display.  On my way to pick up my clothes this week I saw a truck parked outside of my office with a goat and 3 (human) kids rolling with laughter, followed by a dog wearing a human shirt walking down the street. Later that night I saw a woman pouring ketchup on her Hawaiian pizza, so – as you can see  laundry day is often full of excitement.  

 Outdoor clothes washing area. 
Typical indoor clothes washing area. 
My outdoor clothes washing area. The right sink has no drain; the one on the left is "ribbed" for washing. Those plastic bottles contain cleaning products.

I feel a special connection with the woman who runs the laundromat because I once spent 30 minutes with her during a torrential storm when her breakers blew, water started seeping into the building, and we huddled together in the dark.  We always engage in friendly banter about the weather, her work, how I like our town, etc.  I try to arrive at the laundromat as soon as they open to make sure my super soft sheets are laundered in time for bed.  I learned that time the hard way as I once arrived too early and had to sit on the sidewalk for 20 minutes, trying to look nonchalant as every passerby told me they opened at 9:00. 

My name is hard to pronounce and to spell, so the laundry woman always gives me the ticket to fill out myself, and then we have a conversation about what time I’ll be back for my clothes (~ 8 hours later).  Roughly half of the time when I arrive to pick up my clothes, they’re not yet bagged.  It’s not really a problem for me because – and, I know this may shock you – I’m not ever rushing off to do something else.  The first time my clothes weren’t ready, they were just coming out of the dryer.  Rather than sit there and watch two nice Mexican women fold my underwear, I asked if I could help.  They said sure, so now I always fold my clothes with them.  It’s a little gift when I get to help them with the folding as I miss doing my own laundry.  I love that smell and feel of warm clothes.  I love the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction from completing a chore and having everything neatly folded and put away.  And most importantly, I love sleeping on clean sheets. 


Sampling of views on the walk home from the laundromat. 

I usually just talk to the boss, but this week she was running around between big dryers, so as I folded my laundry with the other woman I said "Cómo estás?"  She didn’t appear to register that I said anything, so I folded in silence.  When the boss returned she told me that the other woman didn’t talk.  I said “Ok, then I won’t ask you any questions” real friendly like and everyone smiled.  I didn't want to be rude and ask more questions but I keep thinking about her: can she hear? can she physically not talk or does she choose not to? does she like working in the laundromat?  what’s her story?

I’m participating in an initiative to capture photos and stories of the people in Mexico, similar to the Humans of New York Facebook page.  I’ve been interviewing people I work with and I think I need to interview the head laundry lady as well.  It’s fascinating to learn about other people’s lives and it’s really surprising to hear what they share.  I'm not saying you should fake interview people, but should you find yourself next to a friendly stranger, don't be afraid to talk to them.  However, I would be leery around cows with horns.  Everyone told me the 2 cows below were friendly but that is not the vibe I got as they were racing towards and cow-yelling at me when the gate was open.  I didn't even say anything about the one cow's obvious toupee, but it clearly did not like me.  Whatever cow.  If I could interview you, I totally would, because you clearly have things to get off your chest. 


 No interviews needed here - I knew exactly what this cow was thinking as it raced for the gate when we opened it to walk through. 
These cows, however, had a true air of mystery.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...