Friday, August 18, 2017

Caring for Your Volunteer

It's been a rough week for people in the US, Spain and Sierra Leone.  I think it's fair to say that we all need some extra love, care and joy these days, so let's talk about something light-hearted - caring for your volunteer. 

Let’s say you know someone who’s serving as a Peace Corps volunteer, and they’ve been in country for a year and a half.  They’re integrated in their community, they’ve adjusted to the local food and customs and, in general, they seem to be doing great.  In my experience, once you pass the halfway mark of your service, things related to work get a lot easier and life becomes more routine.  However, a lot of other things get harder.  Missing people, places, things and foods from back home – it’s tough, especially when you have a craving that you can’t satisfy (going for a hike on a snowcapped mountain, having brunch with a friend, hugging your cat, strolling through Target for things that you don't need but really want, or just hopping in your car to go explore for the day where you encounter people who speak your language).

My lovely little pueblo mágico... 
...complete with free-range horses.... 
...mountains, volcanoes, farmland, houses and a cemetery. 

Which brings me to the point of this post: that volunteer you know?  They still want – nay, they need – care packages every so often.  The arrival of something familiar, a luxurious treat, a favorite food or a new form of entertainment – it brings so much joy and comfort to volunteers that we typically squeal while doing a little happy dance when that package arrives.  The value of a care package for a volunteer’s state of mind cannot be overstated.

I’ve received a few packages during my service, and some very generous deliveries of goods from US visitors.  I can’t fully express how appreciative I was to receive those spices, gloves, books, health and beauty products, shoes and pants.  Nor can I say thank you enough to my normally shy sister for talking to a post office employee about filling out a customs form to mail me underwear.   

While I still have a good chunk of time left here, I also just hit the "single digit number of months left" countdown.  Mexico is awesome but I’ve been struggling lately with a sense of longing for several things back home.  When I found out there was a new food establishment selling fried chicken in my town, I went right away for an 8-piece order.  I only ate fried chicken like once a year in the US, but here?  Ohhhhhhh baby.  I was in heaven to have something so familiar and so very not Mexican. 

 Kentucky-style chicken (honestly, that's the name) served with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, corn tortillas, an oil chili sauce and a bright orange salsa. 
This "restaurant" fries up that tasty pollo.

If you know someone serving in the Peace Corps, send them a little electronic or physical care package at least once during their service.  You will never have a more grateful recipient and your name will echo on the streets of whatever pueblo they’re living in.  Chances are, you know what would resonate with the volunteer in your life, but since this post is 99% self-serving, I’m going to tell you what I would want in my care package. 

iTunes gift cards – The great thing about iTunes is that you can purchase a series or a movie and then download it to your computer to watch offline.  This is extremely useful for those volunteers in sites without consistent internet or for people like me who have internet almost every day but in a limited physical space.  I recently had a really strong (and perhaps, weird) hankering to watch Fraiser.  I can’t explain to you why I need to watch this show, but I do.  I need it bad.  And I need iTunes gift cards to make that happen at $15 a season.

Crackers – It’s easy to find saltine crackers here and it’s easy to find crackers covered in sugar.  It’s hard to find anything else unless you know someone with a Costco membership who is willing to drive 3-5 hours to deliver your precious crackers.  I always need crackers like these, and these, and these, and these, and these.   And goldfish crackers.

Candy – I cannot explain to you why I need gummy worms, but I need them. Badly.  I also always need M&Ms and red Twizzlers.  And fortune cookies.  And Starburst chews.  And twinkies.  In other words, I really miss artificial junk food.  I will also take healthier treats and fancy lip balm (not to eat). 

Books and Magazines – Reading is a keystone activity for all volunteers.  For someone like me who is located a 13-hour bus ride from the Peace Corps office, it can be difficult to access books in the volunteer library more than 1-2 times a year.  I’m also sad to report that in Seattle you have to visit the library in person once a year to verify your address, so I lost my access to free online library books awhile ago.  I have a wish list of books, but I will read anything that I receive.  I literally just finished reading every page of a Costco product magazine, even the parts with articles about supplements for bone strength.

That's pretty much it: food and entertainment.  I don't frequently ask for things, but I gotta tell you - some Frasier and gummy worms would do me a world of good.  And earn you undying affection and a super awesome gift from Mexico for the next time I see you (or when I'm back in the US and can mail things in less than 2 months).  I can't promise you that the crackers will last to the end of my service, but I can promise that your name will be praised on the streets of my pueblo for all to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...