Friday, October 13, 2017

Losing your nose ring during back surgery

Almost three weeks to the day after my back went out, I finally had surgery.  My doctor said the MRI from Mexico showed exactly what was going on and that I was a textbook-perfect example of symptoms associated with an L4/5 herniated disc. 

My aunt and I woke up bright and early at 4:15 AM to make sure we were on time for my 5 AM check-in.  My first prep nurse Abbey was incredibly kind and sweet.  She assured me I would have multiple opportunities to pee before my scheduled 7:30 AM surgery and clearly explained everything that was going to happen that day.  When she handed me a set of wet wipes and a hospital gown to get cleaned up and changed, my Aunt Sandy jumped into action and helped clean my back and my legs.  When Abbey said it was time to move on to the second prep area, my aunt asked if she could have 30 seconds to say a prayer for me before I left her.  Abbey not only said yes, she asked if she could join us.  

Pre-surgery, holding my newest niece.
With one of my 5-year old nieces, pre-surgery.
Don't worry - there are no surgery pictures.  But this is what Arkansas looks like in early October.

In the second prep area, I met additional nurses who were also warm and friendly and introduced me to the chief anesthesiologist and his technician, my doctor - who had a great bedside manner - and his nurse for surgery.  I also met a really nice tattooed nurse who was summoned to remove my nose ring as no metal is permitted in surgery.  She said I could put it back in that night but I knew I wouldn't have the fortitude for that, so I'm a rebel no more.  After I was wheeled into the operating room, the anesthesiologist put some patches on my chest and back, put the mask on me and told me to take deep breaths of oxygen.  And then I woke up in recovery.

As soon as I realized where I was, I could feel the pain in my back from the incision.  Then I moved my left foot and leg and I could feel them!  For the first time in almost 3 weeks, I could feel my toes again!  After I was moved to the second stage recovery room, I had to go to the bathroom so the nurse told me to get up and walk with her to the bathroom and I did!  In order to leave recovery, you have to demonstrate that you can walk, use the bathroom and eat/drink, so the nurse brought me a can of Sprite, along with my Aunt Sandy and stepdad.  I successfully downed my Sprite and was given the clear to get dressed and head out.

As I tried to get out of bed for the second time, I had this horrific pain in my left thigh that I can only describe as an intense charlie horse that makes you yell in pain and that no movement can correct.  That excruciating pain continued every time I had to get up or down (including in and out of the car which was the most horrific part) which made going to the bathroom a super unpleasant experience for all of day one.  By day two, that pain had decreased to about 30% of its potency and migrated to my left calf.  On the fifth night after my surgery, I was able to get in and out of bed throughout the night without any pain, which was an awesome improvement.  I still have some pains in my leg when moving certain ways, but after a little over a week since surgery, the improvements are extraordinary.  The human body is definitely a marvel. 

With my pregnant sister Katie the night after my surgery. It's been such a gift getting to see her pregnant and feel her baby move. I would have missed all of her pregnancy without my surgery so that's a definite silver lining!  

My aunt said when the doctor came out he indicated that the herniation was even worse than he thought and that they removed shards from multiple areas.  I started walking outside on day two where I discovered that I can walk just fine, I just move a little slowly and my left toe starts falling asleep again when walking for more than a few minutes.  I'm walking 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes per walk and learning how to sit down without letting my back touch anything, how to sleep exclusively on my sides with my shirt always raised to help my suture breathe and how to be reliant on others without feeling guilty.  I’m happy to report that I can now make my own cereal, refill my own water glass and shower while standing, but I can’t bend over to do my own laundry or gently dry my suture area with a towel, so thank goodness for Aunt Sandy.  

Views on my post-surgery walks.
Views on my post-surgery walks.
My sister and I are moving at about the same pace on our walks.

I’m cautiously optimistic that I’m going to continue to see great improvements over the next few weeks and gain medical clearance at the end of the month to return to Mexico.  In the meantime, I’m learning how to live with a new calendar that includes nothing more than showering once and walking three times a day.  I know that may sound glorious but it's also challenging.  My life has become an ongoing lesson in patience and gratitude so thank you again to everyone who has brought me coffee, called to chat, stopped by to visit, sent a note/package, etc.  You guys are the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...