Friday, November 17, 2017

Adulting in the Peace Corps

When I was in my 20s, I asked my grandma when she felt like an adult, as I was still waiting for that feeling to arrive.  She told me "honey, in my mind I'm still 16; it's just my body that works different."  While 16-year old Autumn is still alive and well (she's the one who asked for all the gummy worms), I can say that my time as a Peace Corps volunteer helped me finally feel like an adult.  A few key things have happened to help crystalize that feeling, as described below. 


One of my favorite mountain communities. 
One of my favorite buildings in town. 
  • I spend a lot of time with people in their early 20s and I recognize what a special point they are at in their lives and how things are just beginning for them. 
  • I find that articles that talk about “what I would have told my younger self” really resonate with me these days.  That can’t be a good sign.
  • I have a desire to share the wisdom gained from reading the above articles with people younger than me, and they soooooooo are not interested.  These kids today.
  • I’ve started wearing black jeans.  I’m not saying that young, hip kids don’t wear black jeans, but mine are very reminiscent of my mother’s wardrobe when I was a kid.  The fact that I love my black jeans, which are rapidly fading and cut off at the bottom, and that I want to wear them every single day – with Birkenstocks – is probably not a good sign. 
  • I finally learned how to wash clothes by hand and consistently ignite the pilot light on a boiler. 
  • I've gotten over my fear of grease burns while cooking bacon. 
A lovely old church in a mountain town far, far away. 
My boss approaching the church doors. 
A very old bell that invites people to mass. 
  • I find myself constantly reading articles about how happiness is based on relationships and giving.  I recently read this article in "Yes" magazine and I was "amen-ing" left and right: "Sustainable happiness comes from...loving relationships, thriving natural and human communities, opportunities for meaningful work, and a few simple practices, like gratitude."  
  • I am reveling in the fact that my only real responsibility these days is paying my rent and electric/internet bill.  I’m not sure that you can fully appreciate how joyful it is to only have 2 bills to pay every month (that add up to only $130 US) until you’ve spent sufficient time adulting with a lot more financial responsibility than that.
  • I find myself amazed by “new” technological innovations.  Like when I learned I could use my cell phone for internet access without a SIM card – I just needed wifi.  Or when my friend sent me a package that for some reason contained Macworld Magazine.  I finally understood why the new iPhone didn’t have a headphone jack.  I also kept saying “Whaaaaaaat?  There’s an app that can do that?”  It was very reminiscent of a reaction you might expect from an elderly relative.  
View from a ranch in el campo. 
Blooming flowers. 
  • I've decided the most important thing for me to spend money on when I'm back in the US is a good mattress. 
  • I'm worried about my future health care and retirement options. I worry about this a lot and try not to constantly stress about this 2-year hiatus from contributing to those accounts.   
  • Much like a grandparent with bad hearing who asks you to repeat everything you say, I too ask “mande?” several times a day.  Thank goodness the people here are more patient with me than I am with my grandma. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...