Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Here's to a happy, non-linear 2018!

Before I left for Mexico, I wrote this quote in my journal: “One of the most basic reasons for thinking that it’s too late to be who you are truly capable of being, is the belief that life is linear.  As if we’re on a busy one-way street, we think we have no alternative but to keep going forward.  If we missed something the first time, we can’t double back and take another look because it takes all of our effort just to keep up with traffic.”

The quote is from the book The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything.  Finding your passion – was there ever a headier goal?  Some people are lucky; they identify their passion early on and find a way to make a career out of it.  Playing music, creating art, selling real estate, teaching the next generation, working short term jobs so they can travel – these are all passions employing people I know.  

I love working in the field of sustainability but I wasn't drafting alternative fuel policies or timing people's showers as a child.  I started college thinking maybe I'd be a math major, and then discovered my love of biology and economics classes, which morphed into the magical field of environmental economics.  I chose my graduate school in part because my college advisor's environmental economics mentor was a professor there.  Then I took a class in corporate social responsibility and became enamored with sustainability assessments and resource conservation.  I've been lucky to find a lot of different things that I'm interested in and good at that all have a place in the big world of sustainability, but I'm not sure anyone saw me as a kid and said "oh yes, she'll be writing a strategic energy action plan and take pride in managing federal grants one day!"   

If you're passionate about eating Halls cough drops as a candy, you are going to fit right in here in Mexico. 
If you're passionate about meeting really great people who will make you laugh really hard and bring you much joy, I recommend joining the Peace Corps. Or just try to find some former volunteers to be friends with in the US. 
While you're out there making friends, don't be afraid of people who are waaaaay more stylish or cooler than you (like my friends Sonia and Sylvia). 

When you join Peace Corps as a mid-career professional, chances are you're looking for a little sabbatical and an opportunity to reevaluate that path you're on.  I've had a lot of time to think about what I'm passionate about during my service and I've decided that if I could figure out how to make six figures while hiking in Yosemite and Olympic National Park, taking breaks for full body massages, family time and nights spent sleeping in big, super comfy beds, I would be set.  If I could also see the ocean, partake in a hip-hop dance class and eat sushi ever day, I would officially be in heaven.  

I must report that I have not found some great new passion or career calling during my time in Mexico.  I have found some great new hobbies, like passing hours upon hours making hand-embroidered tortilla towels, and my service has validated that I really like working on comprehensive sustainability programs for local government (i.e. I'd totally like to move forward working on what I essentially left behind).  My time as a volunteer has also given me the time and perspective to think about that quote and who it is that I am "truly capable of being," which is someone who aspires to do and be more.  To be a better, kinder, more generous person who can offer you a bite of their food without feeling like real sacrifice is involved.     

My service has taught me that it's important to invest in those things that really bring you joy, so I splurged on $4 LED lights this year.
All the Christmas decorations in my house. 
Poinsettia in a friend's yard. 
Ornament outside a house.
Holiday decorations in our office. 

I've learned that life doesn't have to be linear and you can take a detour to a new route whenever you want.  That's not an easy thing to do, but if it's the right thing to do, you'll find a way to push past the fear.  If you're not on the path you want, pull over and start charting a new course, repeating as needed.  I'm not saying you have to become a Peace Corps volunteer, but if you need a safe space for that life evaluation, it's a good group to be with ;)  

With that, I wish you a very happy and healthy 2018!   


Sampling of some of my fancy embroidery work.  My friend, and embroidery teacher, Natalie gave me all of the funny designs.  Thanks Natalie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...