Thursday, March 8, 2018

Saying Goodbye to Peace Corps Mexico Group 18

Each group of Peace Corps volunteers gets together four times during their two years of service: for pre-serving training, early in-service training, mid-service training and close of service.  My Close of Service Conference took place the last week of February and although there are some people that I will definitely see again, there are some others that I probably won't.  The official close of service date for my group is May 26th but a lot of us will be leaving at different points before then, so last week was a little emotional and a lot of fun!  

Peace Corps Mexico Group 18!
And a pic with the office staff.  That's our super awesome country director laying on the ground on the left. Jaime is the best!!!

Despite having to run the gauntlet of medical appointment, including daily lab visits with specimens in paper bags, we had a great last week together.  I started with a visit to my host family who always fills my heart with love and my stomach with delicious chilaquiles.  The next night a group of us went to see the Black Panther – my first ever visit to a movie theater in Mexico!  The movie was highly entertaining and the theater was the most comfortable one I have ever visited with reclining seats and two arm rests with two cup holders.  So fancy!

We each shared a 5-minute summary of our service which yielded a full day of laughter and heart-warming stories.  Sometimes as a volunteer it doesn’t feel like you really do much, but hearing a short snippet of everyone’s story really helped put the collective effort into perspective. The following night we had a group dinner with all 18 remaining volunteers and a surprise visit from Tess!  We went to a fancy restaurant where the plates cost around 200 pesos and talked and laughed and reminisced about our time together.  

Fun times at our group dinner!
How could you not love these people?!!

Several volunteers found love, in the form of a human partner or a new pet (or both), and everyone experienced at least one horrific illness.  Some people got zika, mono, E. Coli AND poisonous spider bites over the last two years.  Some of us got some really weird results from our final medical tests, like unexpectedly testing positive for tuberculosis or having a deviated septum with no history of a traumatic nose event.  Some people thought about going home during their service but received support from their Mexican family, friends and fellow volunteers and are now planning to stay in Mexico post-service.  Some people are planning to go to grad school when their service ends, while others are planning to travel around the world, retire or start looking for a job. 


Had it not been for Jaime serving us, I might have been one of the few people super excited to eat more Costco pizza at a Peace Corps training event.  
Eating tacos al pastor in the plaza. 
One final gathering of the Natural Resource Management volunteer group :) 

Every person has a different Peace Corps service, but we all have this shared experience that forms a bond as strong as family.  If you had told me two years ago that my new best friends would be 23-30 year olds, and a lovely retired woman from Chicago, and that they would bring me some of the best laughs and memories of my life, I might have been dubious.  However, I cannot sufficiently put into words how much I love my fellow volunteers and how grateful I am for their support and companionship and how much I look forward to reconnecting with them again in the future.  Our service may be coming to an end, but the memories will last a lifetime.  Ok, that is uber cheesy, but really, I've got all the feels these days!    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...