Saturday, May 7, 2016

In the land of apples and fog

This past week was super fun, cold and foggy as I shadowed a Peace Corps volunteer, Deby, in Zacatlán for a full week.  Deby is here teaching sustainable agriculture at the local university and taught me all kinds of interesting things about agriculture, local plants, how things work in the “real” world here, and how to say some fun new words.  Plus, I got to ride in the local colectivos (i.e. small vans that function like buses) several times and the locals on board were really interested in who we were, where we were from and why we were in their town. And on two different days, very nice women in the street helped me make sure I was waiting at the right spot to flag down my bus to get to the university.


  Apple art.
The big clock in the central square. 
  
Zacatlán is another Pueblo Mágico known for its apples and some beautiful art. Along the walkway by the Barranca, there’s a huge mural that local artists are still adding to.  I love that all the public art, beautiful churches, and grand squares in Mexico.  My camera also really loved Zacatlán and took off on its own adventure somewhere in town. I’m hoping that some kind soul will find it, see the pictures of the gringos and maybe return it to the blonde woman from the US in town before she ends her service.

                                         Images from the mural along the Barranca. 





I was in the state of Puebla for Cinco de Mayo which meant that I got to see the community parade and learn why the students were shouting both “Viva Mexico!” and “Viva France!”.  Since the University was closed for the holiday, I went hiking in the local mountains with Deby, Ta - an English teacher there as part of an Embassy program, and a local agro-tourism guide.  It was wet and chilly but we were rewarded with “los baños” fed by natural hot springs and fresh trout for lunch.  The water in the pools wasn’t hot so much as it was warm, but we still jumped at the chance to be immersed in water and partake in a new experience. 

  Cinco de Mayo parade. 

  Cinco de Mayo hike in the fog.
  Los baños. 
  Source of water for los baños. 
  A local pig.
Debbie and our guide talking apple trees.

I also gave my first presentation in Spanish and although there were a lot of last minute changes (i.e. classes were cancelled and I had to find a new group to present to the day before), it was actually not nerve-wrecking and I learned that if I practice what I want to say in Spanish ahead of time, people think I know a lot more Spanish than is true.   On the way home – a mere 8-hour drive – we stopped to buy plants and pottery and picked up my fellow Natural Resource Management volunteers who were shadowing other volunteers.  We also started brainstorming very important ideas for our end of training talent show with Jaime and 4 ladies.  My Spanish teacher Rocio and I share a love of Chayanne so it feels right to find a way to include him in this event.

After a week of full fog, I awoke Friday to clear skies and sun! As soon as my presentation was done, we all ran to see the Barranca and were ecstatic to finally see the mountains.  I returned to a very warm Querétaro and to my host family who had this vase of flowers waiting for me in my room :) 

  This was the view Monday - Thursday. 
  And finally a clear view on Friday!
  Local flowers. 
                                                       Flowers from my family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...