Friday, July 7, 2017

Mexican Sidewalks

If you've been worried you might not get to see random pictures of sidewalks in Mexico, fear not - I've got you covered. 

I was walking home one day when I noticed that the sidewalk changed.  It changed from red bricks to concrete.  I thought “huh, that’s weird.”  Then I noticed that it changed again from plain concrete to large stones inlaid with concrete.  Then I noticed that it changed in front of almost every single house, and that it had taken me months to notice this seemingly obvious design feature.  So, I got to work investigating this phenomenon and asked someone what was up with the sidewalk "art."  Apparently, each homeowner is responsible for the design and maintenance of their own sidewalk, and some people showcase some pretty cool designs.

It’s fascinating to see all the different styles and design choices, and it makes you think about what you would choose for your sidewalk.  Are you going with the super safe and comfy (but boring) flat concrete, or are you going to spice it up with some fancy tiles and rock work?  As a pedestrian with a rolling suitcase, I personally prefer the sidewalks without rocks or other bumpy items embedded, but as an art lover, I say put rocks in everything! 

So, for your viewing pleasure, please peruse the many different sidewalks of my humble pueblo.
My neighbor spent weeks working on this lovely sidewalk, which surprisingly is not bumpy.
While I don't like wheeling a suitcase over this, it is my favorite sidewalk in town. 
This lovely sidewalk is in front of my office. 
I love when the transition is stark, and you can really see the different styles. 
Rocks set in concrete. 
I'm partial to this red tile look. 
Sometimes you find a real mix of materials. 
This one reminds me of linoleum made to look like rocks. 
Not the most artistic, but a part of the scenery. 
This is the most popular option (aside from plain concrete) and is present in our town square as well. 
A late edition - with colors! - added on my walk home the day of this post.



1 comment:

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...