Friday, July 28, 2017

Taking a Difference Course

It's not easy to admit that you are not always right.  One thing Mexico has taught me is that things often work out, and can work out very well, even if they don’t follow the course that I would have chosen.  Case in point, our new campaign to reduce the use of disposable plastic products.  One day I came into the office to find several large boxes full of paper- and plant-based cups, plates, to-go food containers, forks, spoons and bags.  When I asked what they were for, I heard that there was some interest in reducing waste in the community.  After a few weeks of looking at those boxes, I asked my boss what the plan was.  He gave me permission to design a pilot project to work with different food establishments to a) reduce their use of single-use disposable plastic items and b) try out our “environmentally friendly” products for to-go orders.


"Sustainability kit" for participants in our pilot project. 
View during the commute to give a training to one of our participating restaurants. Moooooooove out of the way! 

It’s been awesome to work on this project for many reasons:
  • People have been really interested in talking about this subject and taking steps to reduce their environmental impact.
  • I’ve met a lot of great people in different communities.  
  • I’m in charge of a specific project and have a stronger sense of independence. 
  • I can see there’s a potential for real impacts and changes with this project. Styrofoam is super popular here so anything that helps reduce the amount of "unicel" distributed in our communities is great. 
I’ve been giving presentations in Spanish, designing marketing materials and pre- and post-surveys, soliciting participants for the pilot, and forcing myself to make phone calls in Spanish to talk with those participants.  This project has provided me with work similar to something I might do back in the states, which has helped me feel like I'm adding real value in my community.  You can't underestimate the value of that feeling as a volunteer.    


Local goods for sale at a participating cafe. 
Local art at a participating cafe. 
Views in the town where three of our pilot project participants reside. 

So, how is this project different than the course I might have followed in the US?  The main difference was that we purchased the products first and then developed a plan for how we could use them (vs. purchasing what we needed based on a detailed plan created ahead of time).  I will admit I was surprised - and a little bewildered - at this approach when we started our project.  Strategic planning was such a core part of my professional world back in the US that adjusting to a different system here in Mexico - one that is often less structured and focused on the action of doing something when an opportunity arises vs. planning for things well in advance - has taken time.  A lot of time.  

But here's the thing - even though I didn't develop a goal, target audience, system for monitoring and evaluation, or communications plan for the project until after we already had the materials - it's been working out great!  And even better, I've been able to incorporate some of those strategic planning elements into the project and ensure that we do have pre- and post-pilot evaluations in place.  In other words, there's an exchange of information, culture and work styles taking place so I'm starting to feel like, yessssssssss, I can be a successful volunteer! 
  
This guy made a little noise during my presentation. 
 Site of my training - with my coworker Tello. 
Participating cafe where lots of tourists enjoy fresh coffee and sweets.
 
Traditional home in the mountains. 

It's easy to think that your way is the “right” way and to feel frustrated when you have to take someone else's path, but Mexico has taught me to take a deep breath and chill.  Learning how to roll with things has been one of the best benefits of my Peace Corps service.  I may not have rolled with it quite as calmly as I would have liked when I found a scorpion at my front door one recent morning, but I was definitely more chill about it than I could have been ;)


Thankfully, this was only my second scorpion sighting at my house. 
I've seen this species of spider inside my house too many times to count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...