Thursday, February 8, 2018

10 Reasons You Should be a Peace Corps Volunteer

Peace Corps is often touted as the “toughest job you’ll ever love” which is eerily accurate.  It’s hard to describe how something can be so awesome and so exhausting at the same time.  I’ve never been more uncomfortable or frustrated in my life than I have been at times during my service.  I’ve never felt more different and less able to express myself and be myself, than while operating in a different language and a different culture.  However, I’ve never had the opportunity to receive so much love and kindness, or the freedom to sleep in so late, learn so many new things, have so much fun, or understand who I am better than I do right now either. 


Well, I like to think I had all of those things when I started my service ;) 
Image from the Ad Council

Here’s why I think you should consider being a volunteer:

1. You really can make a difference.  It will likely be totally different than what you anticipated, and you’re not going to change humanity or bring about world peace, but your work will yield benefits for people in your community. 

2. Peace Corps service can help readjust the filter on your life to highlight those things that are really important to you.  You'll add to that list of what you do/don't want moving forward and will have an opportunity to really reflect on what kind of life you want.  If you don’t see the value in that, you need to sign up to serve today.  

3. It can also help you see what you’re capable of achieving.  I am super proud of myself for learning how to speak Spanish at such a late age, and for learning how to travel and live on my own in a foreign country.  You’re never too old to learn something new, and Peace Corps service will prove it!  


 
Learning how raicilla is made. 

4. You will gain a new appreciation for all kinds of things: the kindness of strangers, drinkable tap water, the power of public art, the craftsmanship of front doors, the ability to travel anywhere you want via public transportation, the thrill of a solid internet connection, and all kinds of small things you took for granted back home.  What you appreciate will differ based on your unique service, but you're bound to emerge a more aware and grateful person. 

5. You will experience the highest highs and the lowest lows, but you’ll grow from it all and get to know yourself in ways you never could have imagined.   

6. You will have an opportunity to explore a new country.  Your service is not about travel, but you will absolutely have opportunities to explore your country of service.  Bonus: you’ll understand the language and customs so traveling will be much easier and more rewarding than as a newbie tourist.

7. You will make friends for life with your fellow volunteers.  There’s simply no way to describe the bond that will form between you and other volunteers as you discuss how every single person has accidentally pooped their pants during their service.  Or so I’ve heard.

8. You get to live in another country.  That means you'll have time to really get to know a place, the different seasons and the people.  Plus, you will have experienced international domesticity! How many people can say that?!

Can you enjoy this view as a tourist? Sure, but people will have way more to talk with you about when they learn you live in a mountain pueblo in Mexico. 
You can't easily access this view as a tourist. 
You can learn new things, like how to finally keep plants alive. 

9. You will learn a new language. There were days during pre-service training when I would go into the women’s restroom and just cry because I was so frustrated and emotionally wrought from Spanish lessons.  It’s hard learning a new language.  Until one day, it’s not.  You learn how to let go of pride and caring that people will hear you saying the wrong thing.  You learn how to laugh at yourself and how you speak, in both your new language and your native tongue.  I was home at Christmas and saw a sign that said “joplimo mattress company.”  I asked my sister and brother-in-law “is that pronounced hop-lee-mo? I guess that must stand for Joplin, Missouri. (long pause) And I guess you pronounce the J since it’s in English.”  They both were like yeah, we weren’t going to say anything but we were wondering when you’d get there!  If you can’t laugh at yourself and revel in tales of how wrong/silly/ridiculous you were, you’ll never make it as a volunteer.  But if you can, you’ll be so much more empathetic with others and – I like to think – a better person to be around.  

10. If you weren’t adventurous before you became a volunteer, you will be afterwards.  You have to eat the weird foods that are presented to you.  You just have to do it.  Some of them will be amazing and some of them won’t be, but you won’t die wondering.  You will have explored.  You will have taken chances.  You will have lived.

Listen, serving as a volunteer isn’t for everyone, but it can be such a great experience (even when it’s not).  Would I serve as a volunteer again?  Absolutely!  I found my spark again, I learned a second language, and I got to know another country in a way that you just can’t on a tourist visa.  I found the best parts of me and the parts that I need to be aware of and work on.  I made friends for life and I gained an unbelievable amount of perspective.  And most importantly, I've got a huge arsenal of funny stories to share with you the next time we meet :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...