Thursday, February 15, 2018

Know Before You Go: Mexico Edition

If you’ve never been to Mexico, there are a few things that might surprise you and there are a few things you should know about how to be a good visitor.  You already got the 411 on missing toilet seats and the need to have toilet paper in your bag at all times, so let me share a few additional pieces of wisdom that can help ensure smooth sailing on your next trip south of the border.

 Appearances can be deceiving: behind these windows you'll find rooms for a luxury hotel. 
These flags are often a sign that a party is a'comin! Or that you just missed one. 
  • If you are a woman traveling alone, pretty much everyone you meet is going to ask you if you are married.  If you’re not, you’ll usually get the follow-up question of “why not?”  I just stare at people with a disapproving look when they ask me that one.  You likely will get a lot of personal questions from strangers that you might not encounter back in the US, but remember that you can choose how to answer those questions and if you want to be truthful or not.  Maybe today you’re married to a male model/rugby player from New Zealand and you have six kids and a pet goat.  Or is that just me? 
  • It’s considered rude to wear sunglasses or to rest them on top of your head when talking to someone (especially outside of tourist areas).  I had a hard time adjusting to this one as my eyes require constant, stylish shading when the sun is a’shining.  My language and culture teachers informed me that I could ask the person I was talking to if it was ok to put my sunglasses back on, which feels awkward, but technically is the polite way to go. 
  • On those rare, rare occasions when you’re crossing the street as a pedestrian and a car waves you ahead to pass in front of them, it’s customary to show the back of your hand to give thanks.  When I raise the back of my hand at a car in the US, it has a very different meaning. 
Great courtyards like this one can be found in very unexpected places.
  • When exiting planes and buses, it’s a free for all.  The notion of one row at a time doing the zipper merge simply does not exist.  If you don’t want the entire back half of a vehicle to exit before you, you gotta be aggressive getting into that aisle.
  • Speaking of planes, you don’t need to remove your shoes or take out your liquids when going through airport security.  Each airline is also a little different.  Flying Volaris?  You need to get in line at the Volaris counter before you go through security to have them weigh your carry-on baggage and put a tag on saying it’s approved.  That includes getting a tag on your purse as well.  You’ll also have to pony up a credit card if you want anything other than water to drink on their planes.  Last time I flew they were charging over $4 US for a Coke!  If you fly on Interjet you also need to get the carry-on baggage weighed and tagged before security.  However, you can drink for free, enjoy a selection of free snacks and partake in some serious leg room!  They also have a special camera on some of their planes that lets you see the view from the front of the plane during takeoff and landing, which is both kind of cool and kind of unnecessary.
This new wing of the Cancun airport was super colorful!
  • If someone other than the cashier bags your groceries at the store, or a random, uniformed person in the bathroom gives you a paper towel, it’s customary to tip them.  
  • If you’re driving a car in a big city, there are often clowns, street performers and window washers who will avail you of their services and then come around asking for a tip before the light changes.  I advise avoiding the clowns at all costs because I do not like clowns. Creeeeeepy.
  • There are virtually no public water fountains.  Puerto Vallarta recently installed public water fountains for people and dogs on the main tourist strip and that’s pretty much the only time I’ve ever seen them.  On the bright side, a lot of hotels have large garrafones of water available in the lobby or in central corridors on each floor where you can fill ‘er up for free.
  • While shorts and tank tops are common to see in coastal vacation spots, they’re not really the norm while visiting big cities in central Mexico.  Don't be that tourist. 
This is a very important tip: if you find a cereal bar, go in IMMEDIATELY!  Seriously, you can get a big bowl of cereal with milk and/or ice cream! 
  • People will often get on the bus selling candy and will insist that you take the candy.  They’ll then walk to the back of the bus, make their sales pitch, and then retrieve the candy from anyone who does not want to buy it.  I don't love having a product forced upon me, but here's my advice: take the candy, and then give it back if you don’t want it.
  • In every city I've visited so far, I've noticed that most people walk really slowly on the sidewalks.  Try to indulge in that slower pace of life and not get annoyed by it.  If you really want to pass someone, you can either step into the street to pass or say a greeting from behind (like "buenas tardes - con permiso").  And don't be surprised if someone stops, steps aside and waits for you to pass them when you're still like 10-ft behind, because that happens to me all the time. 
Sidewalk scenes. 
  • It's considered rude to turn down an offer of food without a good reason.  If I'm not full, I try to take whatever is offered.  However, if I really don't want to eat anything, I'll be honest and say "thank you but I just ate breakfast and I am full" or "thank you but I don't feel good today" or "oh thank you - I will try that in just a little while as I am still full from lunch." 
  • Speaking of thank you's, if someone offers you something that you don't want, it's normal to just say "gracias" instead of "no gracias." If you say gracias and keep walking/don't reach for what they're selling, people understand that you really meant no gracias. 
  • People will be SO appreciative if you a) try to speak even a little bit of Spanish and b) ask them about themselves or their beautiful country.  Spend a few hours on Duolingo before your trip and memorize some super basic phrases and you'll no doubt double your positive interactions with the locals.
So there you go.  After two years in Mexico, those are my nuggets of wisdom.  Go forth and travel with confidence my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...