Thursday, June 9, 2016

Let's Talk Toilets

Peace Corps Mexico is often referred to as the “posh corps" because it’s perhaps not as rough and tumble as serving in, oh say, Africa.  I will admit that there are a lot of things here that you can find back in the US, like Starbucks, cable TV, internet, Birkenstock stores, deodorant, and every Coke product known to man.  However, there’s plenty of stuff that’s different and you’ll be happy to know that I no longer live in a town with a Birkenstock store, so my life is a little less posh than it was during training. AND the other night the electricity went out so I couldn’t check Facebook for a full 2 hours!  That’s serving under conditions of hardship for sure.

 Art at the mall in Querétaro with almost everything you could want from the US.
  It's the springtime bunny.
 Roughing it without internet or lights for a full 2 hours this week.

I’m keeping a running list of things that are different here in Mexico compared to back home in the states.  For example, take Cheetos – the Cheetos here are delicious and you don’t even mind that you’re eating some kind of toxic orange chemical because these crunchy nuggets from heaven are slightly spicy and create a warm nostalgic feeling for something you didn’t even know you were missing.  Another thing that’s different, the public buses usually have loud music playing and will give you change on the spot for your fare (and may even stop anywhere you ask them to if the driver is so inclined or you seem like a super panicked foreigner).

 Different language - same sentiment.

However, at the top of the list of things that are different, at least for me, are the bathrooms. Not the bathrooms in homes, which are essentially the same as in the US, if not nicer at times.  The only thing different about home bathrooms here is that you often have to throw your toilet paper in the trash vs. the toilet.  As far as I can discern, it’s a plumbing issue and easy to get used to, especially if you grew up in rural Arkansas with a septic system.

However, the public bathrooms….those are different.  If you’re not used to the heat and thus drink a ton of water every day, you’re going to get to know the public bathrooms very well. There are good and bad public bathrooms, just like back home, but there are some key differences to highlight.  
  • You pretty much always have to pay, 3-10 pesos. 
  • There are no toilet seats. I repeat, no toilet seats. I know a volunteer who actually purchased a seat and installed it in one stall in the public restroom near her office and would wait to use that stall. When I went to visit, I also waited to use her stall because, well, it’s just nicer to have a seat. I’ve asked several people what this is all about and it appears that toilets don’t automatically come with seats when you buy them, so it’s cheaper to go without, and possibly easier to clean without a seat. I love just about everything so far in Mexico, but I miss toilet seats.
  • Toilet paper is a touch and go situation.  If it’s a bathroom you pay to use, you either receive a pre-determined amount of TP when you pay for entry or there’s a wall outside the stalls with TP rolls where you can self-select how much you need.  If it’s a free bathroom, you either need to have TP with you in your pocket/purse/etc. or you can purchase it from an automatic dispenser on the wall.  You learn quickly the value of having TP or tissues tucked away in all nooks and crannies.
  • Sometimes you flush the toilet with a handle and sometimes you have to exit the stall, fill up a bucket of water (from drums of water provided for your use) and pour that into the toilet so it can gravity flush.  The first time you encounter this, you are super confused, until some nice stranger explains to you with hand gestures what needs to happen.

 This was an exceptionally nice and modern restroom with dual-flush toilets, but no toilet seats.

I've only been here a few months and visited a tiny portion of the country so there are many more bathrooms to explore.  I can tell you that one time I found a nice, clean, public bathroom WITH a toilet seat, FREE TP and no charge to enter, and I felt a little like I had won the lottery. I was so excited I think I even texted my sister to share the good news. And for the record, no, I have not been to Starbucks in Mexico (it’s crazy expensive here, yo!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...