Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Love in the Kitchen

My favorite place in the house is the kitchen table as I’ve had so many wonderful conversations there with both of my host families.  I ate almost every meal with Lilia and Jose Antonio over 3 months, so we talked about everything imaginable and they taught me how to properly sip tequila over a long leisurely Sunday lunch.  My current host family has a small store at the front of their house so we rarely get to eat together at the kitchen table, but we have lots of great snacks and conversations in their garden where they can watch the store.  Sunday night my host mom and I laughed till we cried after her instant coffee unexpectedly erupted like a volcano on the table and I told her I had a meeting at 4 AM, which thankfully was not true.    
 
Both of my beloved kitchen tables thus far in Mexico. 

Both of the couples I’ve lived with have been married for 40 plus years and there’s so much love to witness. They tease each other and laugh often and have strong connections with both their children and grandchildren. And both families have a great sense of humor which has definitely helped me adjust and brought more joy into my life here. I haven’t lived near my family since 2003, and have only lived in the same state with any relatives for 5 of the past 21 years.  Living here, immersed in other families, has definitely made me think about how that might be nice to have again back home.  Until then, uh, sorry family… see you in two years!    

We had a meeting this week with local raicilla producers and it was a given that both speakers and visitors would tast different varieties. Raicilla is an alcohol produced from the agave plant, similar to tequila and mezcal and an important part of the culture here.  A recipe using raicilla was featured in Vanity Fair last year, so you know that means it’s hip and now you need to find it in the US.  Or you can just come visit me and I’ll take you to the raicilla museum :)
    
 Views while eating waffles and bacon. 
Pine trees! 
I also met another expat who has lived here for more than 15 years and she made me blueberry waffles and bacon (BACON!!!) for brunch on Sunday and then helped me walk the streets talking to people and looking for a house.  Afterwards Pierre and I went to a gathering up the hill to celebrate some awesome youngsters who have been picking up trash in their community and creating great pieces of art to educate others.  I talked with a local teacher about environmental education ideas for students, ate some tasty tostadas with orange juice, and received a rose because all the moms were getting roses and at least one person thought that 23-year old Pierre was my son.  Um, no, but thank you very much for the flower. 
 One of the great student art pieces. 
 Found Winnie the Pooh in Mexico - and tried to explain Pooh to Pierre. 
 Views from the lovely village of Yerbabuena. 
Fresh bananas over the sidewalk. 

One phrase I’ve heard several times from people here – with heartfelt sincerity – is “don’t worry, be happy.” My host dad Jose Antonio would tell me that anytime I was stressed during pre-service training, and one of my coworkers gave me that direct response when I asked if he had any advice for me as a new person in town.  I love that song, as any good hearted, normal person should, and it’s a guarantee that you’ll be in a better mood after listening to that song (or better yet – watching the awesomely cheesy 80’s video). Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to another party with a mariachi band because my host family appears to have the best neighbors ever and tonight there’s another celebration :)
Sunset from our garden. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow Autumn! What a life!!!! I am chartreuse with envy....

    ReplyDelete

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...