Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Mangos, vistas and a super nice doctor

Before I left the US, everyone wanted to know why I decided to join the Peace Corps.  Since I arrived in Mexico, only 2 people have asked me, and it is kind of hard to explain in Spanish.  Based on my experience thus far, I would say that it is highly unusual for a woman my age to be unmarried and childless, to have lived alone for many years, and to have willingly left a great job with good benefits to go volunteer in a neighboring country.  Both times I tried to explain all the different factors that led to my decision but really it boils down to this: I wanted to change my life.  Mission accomplished.
Local church with lovely mosaic.
Typical lunch view.  
 Reading a GPS unit with Cindy and Pierre. 
 A little fun on top of the mountains. 
Local art. 

If you want more spice in your life, learning and doing new things on a regular basis will definitely help.  Every week here is different with opportunities to see and experience things for the first time.  This past week we went to a neighboring community for another fertilizer workshop, and in the process I got to see more beautiful pueblos and vistas.  It was a late night return, in part because this extremely kind family offered us coffee, corn on the cob, fresh peaches and delicious cake, and you just can’t say no to food. The kids in the house were also having a great time talking with us and sharing scary stories about snakes, scorpions, coyotes and some kind of bunny.  I have no idea what was supposed to be scary about the bunny but I did confirm twice that was the right word, so this kid was weaving quite the tale.


Lovely views from the countryside. 

This weekend was a blend of Mexican and US culture.  My host mom Alicia demonstrated the process for making delicious mango cajeta, which included over 200 green mangos obtained from trees in the local school yard.  This was a multi-part process that had her elbow-deep in mangos most of the weekend, but she now has enough filling to create mango cajetas for her family for the rest of the year! Needless to say, I will be staying friends with this family long after I find my own permanent housing.  We also had fresh tamales filled with chicken and atale with pineapple, which was delicious. It reminded me of cream of broccoli soup, but sweet, with the flavor of pineapple, that you drink from a cup. 

I think this was like step 5 in the 3-day process. 
Mash and remove the pits with your hands. 
The final product! 
Another mango treat. 

This weekend I also ate totally non-Mexican food – pizza with pineapple and ham – and indulged in way too much English as the other volunteer in my office had a friend visiting from the US and we met up with two other English speakers from Puerto Vallarta. I had to balance all that English with several hours of exercises in my Spanish workbook and am proud to say that I can now tell you exciting things like “I have heard that…” or “I will have lived here for one month…” or “the elephant was attacked” (although I hope I never have to say that). In other words, I am now SUPER exciting to talk to. 

We also taught our first English class this week for a new group of tour guides, and it looks like that is something we’ll be continuing on a weekly basis.  When I got home I had an impromptu session on basic English phrases and words for my host family and we further bonded the next day when they had to take me to the doctor for my first illness in Mexico. I’m on the mend and I appreciated that the doctor hugged me several times after it was clear I no longer thought I was going to die.


 Teaching English. 
First visit to a doctor in Mexico. I think the pink princess TV adds a nice touch.

The rainy season has officially arrived with lots of thunder, lightning and wind, and the mountains are starting to turn green.  I think this region is beautiful now but I keep hearing about how truly beautiful it is after the rainy season so stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I left a six-figure job for Peace Corps Service

There’s nothing like doing taxes as a Peace Corps volunteer to remind you how much your life has changed.  And to give you heart palpitatio...